Strings Pavilion Augmented Reality Experiences
Chamber Music and Virtuoso Soloists Like You’ve Never Seen Them Before!
Strings Music Festival has been working with musicians and an all-new technology platform to create augmented reality (AR) concerts you can enjoy at home. Each event will feature high-quality audio, premieres of innovative new music programs, and artist interviews by beloved Strings concert commentator Jamey Lamar. But perhaps most exciting is the opportunity to experience these concerts inside a virtual version of Strings Pavilion!
Performances premiere at 6:00 p.m. each Wednesday in October. Enjoy as many times as you like until program expires (48 hours after premiere).
October Performances Concluded
ABOUT THESE AUGMENTED REALITY CONCERTS – A cutting-edge convergence of technology has allowed us to capture world-class performances and transport them inside a 360-degree visual re-creation of Strings Pavilion. With free software on your smartphone or tablet, you’ll be able to enjoy the concert without streaming delays, in high fidelity sound, and with the ability to move around the virtual concert hall as if you were really there.
Full functionality compatible with many smartphones and tablets; video format available on computer or web-connected TVs. Technical compatibility guaranteed: please contact the Box Office within 48 hours of premiere to receive a refund if your device was not compatible.
HOW TO ENJOY THE CONCERT FROM A SMARTPHONE OR TABLET:
1. Purchase your pass
2. Download the free viewing app (called Hoverlay) – click a button to right:
3. Install the app, giving permission for the app to use your camera and your location while the app is running
4. We will send a link 48 hours before the premiere of each concert. Click that link from your smartphone or tablet and the app will automatically open to the concert menu. Prior to the concert premiere, explore our “test arena” for a welcome message from our executive director and an opportunity to explore inside the Pavilion in 360-degrees!
HOW TO ENJOY THE CONCERT FROM A COMPUTER OR WEB CONNECTED TV
• Once the premiere date and time arrives, click the link we will email to you. Turn up your volume, play the program, and settle in to enjoy the performance.
Want to watch again? For 48 hours after each concert premiere, you can return to the program page to listen again to your favorite pieces! You can also invite others who may have missed “opening night” to buy tickets and experience the performance.
Buy tickets to get your music fix and support Strings! Proceeds benefit Strings Music Festival, each performing artist, and the technical team behind this innovative new platform. Strings is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.
Is my device compatible?
This technology is supported on Apple mobile devices that support ARKit (see below) or Android devices that support ARCore (click for a list).
Apple devices that support ARKit (click for most updated list)
iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone ten s
iPhone XS Max
iPhone ten s Max
|iPhone ten r
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s Plus
iPad Pro (all models)
iPad Air (3rd generation)
iPad (5th generation or later)
iPad mini (5th generation)iPod
iPod touch (7th generation)
Can I check out the experience before the premiere?
Yes! We hope that you will take advantage of our Practice Arena before the concert premiere. See the 360-degree view of Strings Pavilion, practice moving around the space, and enjoy a welcome message from our executive director.
How do I pause the concert, restart a piece, or jump to other pieces?
- Pause by double-tapping the artist’s image on your screen. Double-tap again to start playing again.
- To exit a piece and return to the menu, touch the small arrow in the upper right corner. From that menu you can select a different piece to view or replay one you’ve already started.
Does the experience use cellular data or require WiFi?
If possible, we recommend connecting to WiFi only for initial downloads. This is optional but it may speed up install times and help you avoid any cellular data charges. In order to avoid lags or reduced quality in playback, the concerts are not streamed live to your device. All concert data will be downloaded to your device for seamless playback and will automatically delete after the purchase expires (48 hours after premiere).
Why is Strings Music Festival beta-testing this technology?
Part of Strings’ mission is to present music in innovative ways and if there ever was a time for that, it is now! By exploring this technology with us you may be gazing into one future alternative for many other types of performances. Strings is the very first concert hall, and only the third-ever presenter, of this brand-new technology!
Can I listen on a bluetooth speaker or my home theater system?
If you have listened to other content from your phone, you can listen to this concert the same way. A home theater system or other external speakers may require an aux (auxiliary) cord or other form of connection.
- For bluetooth speakers: Prior to the performance experience (1) Turn on your smartphone’s or tablet’s Bluetooth, (2) connect your smartphone/tablet to your Bluetooth speaker.
Can I watch the concert on my Apple TV, smart television, or the like?
Yes, we have tested the system with a couple systems. If you have the ability to watch content from your phone/tablet on your TV, it will most likely work for these concerts.
- For APPLE TV: Turn on your television and your Apple TV device. On your smartphone or tablet, turn on “Screen Mirroring” by swiping down from the upper right hand corner (or swiping up from the bottom), then select your Apple TV. The ImmerSphere video and audio will be streamed to your Apple TV. Your device will still control the experience.
Pro tip: Turn on “Do Not Disturb” on your device before starting the performance.
I downloaded the app, but don’t see anything.
Top tips: make sure your device’s camera lens isn’t covered; don’t try while driving or walking further than about a 50-foot radius. If those don’t help, go to your phone’s Settings, and select the Hoverlay app. You should see a menu that says “Allow Hoverlay to Access.” Toggle options to enable access to the camera and your location while using the app.
I hear music but can’t see the performers.
Try moving your phone to see if you can find the stage. If not, hit the small arrow in the upper right corner to reload the stage.
I see video, but can’t hear music.
Check the volume level on your device and make sure your device is not in “Silent Mode” or “Vibrate Mode.” If using headphones, are they plugged in fully (or connected by Bluetooth)?
I’m still having technical issues.
First, make sure your device’s operating system is updated to the most current version. If that doesn’t help, delete the Hoverlay app from your device then reinstall it using the link in the email we sent you. If it’s just not working for you, please contact the Strings Box Office within 48 hours of the premiere for a full refund. Refunds will not be granted after the 48 hour window has passed.