The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien is a book that’s good enough to read twice. I read the book as part of an English class in high school and read it again for my college’s First Year Reading Initiative. While most books I labored through for the sole purpose of passing a test, The Things They Carried is one of those rare finds that is educationally sound and entirely captivating. The compilation of stories from the Vietnam War transported me across the world to a time before I was born and put me in the bush with the soldiers. Before Strings Music Festival’s live performance of the book on November 13, I plan to read the book again.
The hunt is on!
If you live in Steamboat Springs and want to participate in the One Book Steamboat community read, there are 10 chances for you to snag a free book. Check out the clues below for your chance to find one of the books hidden around Steamboat.
- Search the place Post 44 patriots find one another.
- In 1899, members gathered to share medical benefits and pensions following the Spanish-American War. In 2012, they gather to share a beer.
- Countless histories of the Vietnam War have been written. Peruse them.
- Once a power house, now a power lunch.
- Pass the high flying flag to the place where history is recorded.
- The water temp is perfect for tea, but the minerals might make it taste like the sea.
- Mekong floats, mountain treks, culinary tours and history rides. Start planning your trip here.
- Devour Hanoi’s favorite street food here.
- Seek the beauty advice of Vietnamese women.
- Clippings, photos, stories and mementos vast; this is Steamboat’s place to archive the past.
One Book Steamboat is a community program produced in partnership with the Bud Werner Memorial Library. Throughout the next month, a variety of events will accompany the read. So grab a copy of the book and start reading!
The Things They Carried Schedule of Events
October 11 – 6:30pm: Mike Forney reads The Things They Carried short story. FREE. Bud Werner Memorial Library.
October 29 – 6:30pm: Book club discussion of The Things They Carried with Steamboat Springs High School teachers Jenny Gabriel and Deirdre Boyd. FREE. Bud Werner Memorial Library.
November 1 – 6:30pm: “Vietnam War Stories” documentary screening. FREE. Bud Werner Memorial Library.
November 5 – 6:30pm: Cooks with Books book club potluck and discussion of The Things They Carried. FREE with potluck dish (Southeast Asian theme). Bud Werner Memorial Library.
November 12 – 6:30pm: Literature to Life workshop with American Place Theatre’s teaching artist Erin Ronder. FREE. Limited to 40 people, preregistration required. Bud Werner Memorial Library.